Full time | Ann Arbor, MI
$14/hr, Hourly Non-Exempt
% Health Insurance Reimbursement (after 90 days)
$25 Monthly Craft Allowance
SCRAP is searching for an energetic and outgoing individual to fill the role of Education Specialist. This position is responsible for scheduling and leading SCRAP’s Education Programs, including field trips, teaching reuse in classrooms, workshops, kids’ camps, and community outreach.
SCRAP’s mission is to inspire creative reuse and environmentally sustainable behavior by providing educational programs and affordable materials to the community. To fulfill our mission, SCRAP operates a donation-based creative reuse store and education programming.
SCRAP boasts a world-class creative reuse education program for students Pre-K through 12th grade. By combining environmental education, art and sustainable activities, students have a fully engaging and informative experience. Students, teachers and parents learn about saving reusable items that would otherwise wind up in the trash or recycling bin.
• One year experience working or volunteering with children
• Ability to communicate effectively, orally and written
• Great organizational skills
• Ability to speak effectively to a large group
• Positive classroom management skills
• Art/creative experience with a variety of media
• Ability to lead art projects with students of varying ability
• Current driver's license and reliable vehicle
• Availability to work additional hours for camp during school breaks and summers
• Availability to work Saturdays as needed for SCRAP parties
• Demonstrated reliability and dedication in the workplace
A strong candidate will also have:
• Knowledge of SCRAP
• Experience instructing in a workshop, camp or classroom setting
• Knowledge about natural resources and the waste stream
• Knowledge of Washtenaw County schools
JOB SUMMARY: Hours are weekdays during school hours and some Saturdays with flexibility. An increase in hours to 40 hours/week during seasonal camp sessions. This year’s camp dates are as follows: April 2nd-3rd, June 24th-26th, July 8th-10th, July 22nd-24th, July 29th-31st, August 3rd-7th, August 17th-21st. This position is responsible for scheduling, promoting and delivering SCRAP Education Programming. Duties include but are not limited to:
• Field Trips - Host field trips at SCRAP for classes as scheduled, material preparation for crafts, lead tours, present educational material, instruct craft projects and maintaining a clean work space.
• SCRAP at School - lead off-site presentations for classes. Responsible for presenting educational material and instructing craft projects.
• Camp - Responsible for leading camps using provided lesson plans.
• Parties - Host craft parties on Saturdays as scheduled.
• Workshops - Host quarterly family friendly craft workshop at SCRAP.
• Outreach - Promote education program offerings to schools, educators, and the community.
• Administration - Responsible for scheduling programing, invoicing, tracking registration lists and email correspondence with teachers and camp parents.
• Safety - Complete Incident Report per protocol and ensure compliance with safety guidelines for use of education space and all activities for participants and leaders.
Expectations of all SCRAP Staff:
Work as part of a team with other staff, volunteers, and programs to fulfill SCRAP’s mission; communicate effectively and focus on good stakeholder relations; greet stakeholders professionally, warmly and helpfully; stay current with the environmental services community and sources of information and referrals for callers and customers; stay current with developments in reuse and recycling, including legislation and availability of recyclable materials markets; when necessary, say “no” tactfully and suggest other community resources to meet appropriate needs; and is an ambassador for SCRAP in the community.
SCRAP does not discriminate in opportunities or practices because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other status protected by law. SCRAP is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from people of color.
If you are interested in joining the creative and fun SCRAP team, please email resume and three references, which must include a former manager or supervisor.
1736 SW Alder Street
Portland, OR 97205
SCRAP is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, Federal Tax ID 93-1270807.
Donations are tax deductible as allowed by law.
©2020 SCRAP Creative Reuse All rights reserved. SCRAP™ is a trademark of SCRAP Creative Reuse | Website by Morweb.org